Wednesday 16 September 2009

I feel like the rainmaker

It's pissing it down in Adelaide too! I should hire myself out to those farmers who have been hit by drought. Still, it's not conclusive until I reach the desert - if it rains then, I really will be like that lorry-driver from Douglas Adams' "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish", whom the rain clouds love and want to be near.

It led to today's bizarre highlight, though: I was escaping from a shower into St Francis Xavier Cathedral (Catholic hub of Adelaide, with a mad statue outside of Mary Mackillop, a nun who was beatified in 1995) just as a service was starting, so I thought I might as well stay. Communion went on its merry way according to the liturgy - until the votary candles caught fire and the Eucharistic Prayer was punctuated by the verger deploying his fire extinguisher. Considering they emptied a whole 2kg one into the Lady Chapel, everyone kept very calm - we were pushed through Communion at some speed, though, and it ended with a very perfunctory blessing: "Go in peace to love and serve the Lord... and under the circumstances I'm sure you'll all clear the cathedral quickly." But then I always knew priests were unflappable.

Bedtime for me, goodnight all...




No comments:

Post a Comment