Saturday 19 September 2009

Noodling around

The sun's come out and yesterday I headed up to Hahndorf in the Adelaide hills to celebrate. This town was at the heart of the German influx in the mid-19th century, and still has a German character today. It's very touristy - every other building offers you wiener schnitzel and apple strudel - but also pretty, and artsy (Hans Heysen used to live up there, and his studio is still open to the public, as well as the old Lutheran schoolhouse, which is now an exhibition space for local artists). Perhaps I was unduly influenced by the sunshine and the big glass of locally brewed pale ale, but I liked it a lot! And the sauerkraut/wurst hot dog. And the endless shops offering carved wooden toys etc. And the alpaca strutting across the hillsides.

Next up, now I've learnt to negotiate the bus system, is Cleland National Park, where you can indulge in a spot of koala cuddling, and Glenelg, the local beach hotspot. And tonight I'm off to the cabaret at the Adelaide Festival Arts Centre - the city is apparently the arts centre of Australia, so I thought I'd better get stuck in. I don't know anything about Cookie Baker (tonight's chanteuse) but I'll let you know. In the meantime, I feel a spot of noodling around is called for...

1 comment:

  1. Just to let you know I am really enjoying your posts - keep 'em coming. Jackie

    ReplyDelete